- 3 pounds (one package) Widnor Farms Beef Shanks (Osso Bucco)
- 1 tablespoon tallow
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 quart beef broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
- 2 medium ears corn, husked, cut into 3 pieces each
- 1/2 pound small red-skinned potatoes, cut in half or left whole if small
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium zucchini cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Heat tallow in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown beef Shank Cross Cut, in batches, on all sides. Pour off drippings.
- Return beef to stockpot. Add water, broth, cilantro, garlic, salt, pepper and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- Add cabbage, corn, potatoes, onion and carrots to stockpot; return to a simmer. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20 minutes. Add zucchini and tomatoes; simmer, covered, 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Garnish with lime wedges.
Let me know what you think of the recipe in the comments!
Happy Cooking, Brianna
This looks yummy. I have some in my freezer and was just wondering what to do with them. Thank you so much for sharing this. I am on the East coast for a couple of weeks but you will see me when I get back. I put the raw milk on hold for a couple of months.
Thank you again for your care of the animals that provide us with nourishment. They are sentient creatures and love their lives children and caregivers so every kindness shown them is very important.
1 Comment on Rustic Beef Caldo