- 1 small Widnor Farms Beef Brisket (2-1/2 to 3 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon tallow
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 cans (14 to 14.5 ounces) unsalted beef broth
- 16 ounces of your favorite Salsa (mine is locally made Salsa Mama Salsa!)
- 1 quart diced tomatoes (about 2 cans if you’re buying yours)
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tortillas
- 16 springs fresh cilantro
- 1 ripe avocado, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup finely shredded cheese
- Heat tallow in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Place beef Brisket in stockpot; brown evenly. Remove brisket from stockpot; season with salt and pepper, as desired. Add onions, cumin and garlic to stock pot; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until onions are crisp-tender. Return brisket, fat-side up, to stockpot. Add broth, salsa and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until brisket is fork tender.
- To prepare the Crunchy Tortilla Strips, cut 2 corn tortillas in half, then crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide strips. Melt a small dollop of tallow in a cast iron pan. Place strips on cast iron and flip to coat the other side. Place strips on baking sheet. Bake 4 to 8 minutes at 400°F or until crisp. Set aside to cool.
- Remove brisket. Trim fat from brisket. Shred with 2 forks. Return beef to stockpot. Add corn and pepper sauce; cook 20 to 25 minutes. Stir in chopped cilantro. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish each serving with tortilla strips, cilantro sprigs, avocado and cheese, as desired.
Make sure to let me know what you think in the comments below!
Happy Cooking, Brianna